Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Big Apple



This weekend I went to NYC and Jersey to meet with a childhood friend who lives in Israel and visiting United States with her husband and her son. I was a little nervous prior to the meeting, because we have not seen each other in 20 years and i knew i was going to have to speak a lot of Russian, which I do not to get to do on day to day basis, only on the weekends when I see my parents. We decided to meet in Central park, so I took a taxi there from the airport. She has not changed a bit, and we recognized each other right away!







It was so great to see her and to meet her awesome husband, i just wish Steven was there with me. We sat on a bench and talked forever about what we were doing with our lives, our interests, our other friends and what they are up to. We could not be more different now. She is so calm and artsy, and i am high strong and always on the move................................... We walked to Broadway and Times Square. New York is always amazing to me for its people, interesting architecture and hustle and bustle that we do not have in Atlanta. I can people watch for hours, sitting in Starbucks and sipping on my Latte. Forgot to mention, there were many triathletes in Central Park, riding their bikes and running. I was surprised, how many of them were riding their race wheels! In the beginning, I thought there was a race going on! After walking around, we took New Jersey Transit bus and went to Jersey, where Betya and Vova are staying.






At the bus stop, we saw a mouse running around, which reminded me that I was definitely in NYC! Once we got to Jersey, Betya's cousin was waiting for us with dinner. We were starving! I felt as if I just raced, the cousin probably thought that I was the biggest PIG, as I was shoveling food in my mouth. There, I met the second love of my life, Shaun who is three and LOVES Thomas the train and company!!!! This is the most beautiful and intelligent boy that I have ever met!!!!!




We stayed up until at least 1 am and for an old lady like me, it was not easy, but I did not want to go to bed, I wanted to savor every last moment with my dear friend. On Sunday morning, while everyone was sleeping, I set out for my 8 mile run. Everything was going great until on the way back, I ran past the subdivision and got lost. That was a freaky moment. No phone, no money.... what was I thinking??? I am an official Ding-Dong. Luckily, I finally found my way back. Had breakfast and it was time for me to leave. I took a train to Penn Station and had some time to myself in the Big Apple.


Got to Laguardia on time, caught my flight and here I am, home!!!! Of course, my bag was searched, because I was bringing Steven some NY pretzels!!! The did not take them away, and I was able to keep my husband happy. I was so hungry at the airport, so I went to a news-stand and guess what they had- Turkish apricots!!! I just could not help myself.......you do the math!!!!

I am very glad to be back home to my family and friends. my Atl peeps are awesome!!!!!!!



Shout outs are to Scootzie and Sweetie, whose birthdays are this week!

2 comments:

Stewart said...

and we are glad you're back as well!:)

Unknown said...

That's a very cool experience, to reunite with a long lost friend after so many years.