Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Hard day's work

Got to Macon at about 4:45pm, went straight to the race site to get my race packet and to rack my bike... Stood in line for about 1.5hrs, seemed like forever. Saw a lot of familiar faces, strong triathletes! Had some Japanese food and headed to bed. As soon as I fell asleep(around 2:30am-nerves), the alarm went off. Oh well, such as life of an athlete-no sleep. Made it to the transition area at 5:30n the dot, with the Mayor right in front of us! My wave did not start 'till 7:52, so I had plenty of time to set up, warm up, and make million trips to the porta-pottie......nerves!

First 5K, no problem, 2nd overall, avg 7.20min/mile. Heart rate nice and low, no labored breathing at all, but it's just a 5K........

Got on the bike, feeling pretty strong, avg 20mph, come up to mile marker 5, my chain falls off. Nothing like a momentum killer! So, I hop off, fix it and keep going. At this point I am having a hard time to switch between my big and small ring. Mile marker 20- Try to get into my small ring, the chain falls off again!!! So, I hop off, fix it and keep going. At this point I decide to stay in high gears to finish...Man, I was tired. It felt like I was on the bike FOREVER! My Garmin was malfunctioning and the computer was dead! What's the deal? Bike time-3hrs15min...6th overall.
UGH!!!

When it came to the run, I knew that I had to give it all I had in the tank and push myself really hard....in 93 degree weather! Ran alone for about 5 miles, then saw a guy running at a pretty good pace, so we ran together until mile 11, then I took off at a pretty good clip and sprinted to the finish! Total time-5:45, 3rd overall, 1AG. OUCH!!!!!!!!

All of my peeps did awesome: Sue killed the bike, Dani killed the bike and the swim, Bob did great, and so did the Mayor of Tucker!!!!!

A special THANX goes out to Dave, Hunter and my awesome husband Steven for working their butts off at the race, thank you, guys you are the best!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: