Saturday, November 29, 2008

My first marathon

One down, many more to go! I found my favorite running distance-26.2 miles! It was not by any means easy, but I enjoyed it! Woke up early, attended to usual business, don't be jealous, Frick, and got on my way to Turner Field. This was my first race driving to by myself, so I rocked out loudly to some tunes, and followed the cars that looked like they knew where they were going to and surprise, I made it! And of course right behind me were the great Suobs. We chatted for a while, and with Dave too, what are friends for? I called him at 6AM, he was awake! After many trips to the porter-johns, it was time to start. The first 18 miles went awesome. Of course seeing Keith at mile 2 and my parents at mile 12 and 14 was great! After mile 18 my quads got a little tight, but nothing unbearable. Mile 23, I saw Dave and I knew I was on my way to finishing my first marathon. I teared up when I ran by Crawford Long Hospital, that is where my grandfather is. What a great experience! The weather was gorgeous. Many of times I found myself running completely alone, there were only 730 finishers. Not once did I feel lonely, because I knew that my peeps were at the finish and on the course. I was proud to share this very important experience with them I have great friends.
Sue and Bob! Thank you so much for training with me for this event! Hope we can train for many more together, good luck to both of you on the 50 miler, I know you two will do awesome!
Thank you for the care package as well, it was ALL put to a good use. Dani, thank you for the card. All of you who came out and who had me in their thoughts, thank you!
Steven, Olga, Phil and Laurie- job well done!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

What an accomplishment! Congrats again!

Joe Reger said...

Congratulations! And I love the lifestyle perspective of "many more to come." Awesome!

Stewart said...

Yeah, you almost ran past me. I should've asked what you were wearing. Of course you had your usual smile so I knew you were cruising:) Great job sticking with the training and training smart...that's always the key. More is never better! I see a sub 4 in your near future!

Kevin said...

Congrats!Way to go on your first

Christopher Hawes said...

Congratulation on your first marathon. Wow, you are keeping very busy. Excellent.